TB tuldok. was one of the projects that the group was looking forward to implementing. It’s a relatively unique problem to tackle, and not one of those CHP’s that has only been passed on from generation to generation. The activities that we planned to implement under this project included doing an active case finding. We called this activity “TB Patrol”. The group went on a house to house survey and were able to identify 14 people who were presumptive TB (i.e those who had history of ongoing cough of at least two weeks duration). After identifying these people, we made a DSSM station at the center of the barangay where the presumptive TB clients can submit their sputum. It was really something new for us to collect sputum from the patients since most of us were nurses. Fortunately, one of the members of the team is a medical technician. So we relied on her to take us through the process. That same afternoon, three of us, including the MedTech of course, went to the RHU to witness how they do the smearing and staining in the lab. We were very eager to find out the results since this could either make or break our CHP. To our surprise, all of the specimens were negative.
We were happy for the people of the community, but we did not know what to do with our CHP anymore. It was a good thing that Dr. Gregorio decided to pay us a visit, and we were able to seek for advice. What the group can do now is Advocate, Communicate and mobilize the community to help build public knowledge, and foster positive attitudes and practices that contribute to efforts to stop TB and remove the sigma that might be getting the way.